maanantai 19. syyskuuta 2011

Children with Disabilities / Attachment Disorder / Foster Care (Week Ten)

This week we covered a few different topics. On Monday and Tuesday Leslie Freeman taught us on children with disabilities and on attachment disorder. On Wednesday Jill Aspegren shared from her wealth of experience and knowledge in directing a children's home and pioneering in the field of foster care. Her and her husband Philip Aspegren are the founders and executive directors of Casa Viva, an organisation that provides quality foster care solutions in Costa Rica. The organisation works together with the national government, is mainly funded by Costa Ricans, and the employees as well as the foster care families are nationals. You can read a little more of Jill and Philip's story here.
I was eager to understand more about reactive attachment disorder (RAD), which I knew very little about, although needless to say, if I was ever working with a child who has RAD, I would have to do a whole lot more research. I asked Leslie if there was a link between RAD and narcissistic personality disorder and she confirmed that without intervention RAD could definitely lead to serious emotional and mental problems, even a borderline personality, which makes me wonder what the correllation is simply between insecure attachment and emotional and personality disorders.
In my heart I've been fostering the hope of working in early childhood special education , but have often questioned if spending yet another year studying, in a way investing in myself, made any sense, when there are SO MANY children in need NOW. During Leslie's teaching, however, my hope was renewed. I felt a deep peace and excitement about the prospect. And I also started thinking more about what it would mean in a developing world context as well as in a more developed country.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti